Thursday, April 3, 2008

Fantasy is Awesome

All right.

So I think I'm starting to wrap my head around this whole "I've got a job" thing, and of course, the beauty of having a reasonably well-paying job, especially in a city like Bflo, where living expenses are relatively low, is that I have actual disposable income, and can move into a better apartment, and buy "real" furniture, and then have housewarming parties, and maybe even dinner parties, or tea parties, or brunches...things I've been positively yearning to have...

Anyway, I've started cruising for potential apartments-- and I think I found my fantasy apartment, and am now seeing if it might be come my reality apartment. I'd seen it initially a few days ago, called the listed phone #, but the owner wanted a tenant sooner than I was initially prepared to move.

But then I kept looking at the fantasy, maybe reality apartment, and I showed it to my friend Leslie, and she thought it looked like a "great space" too, and asked whether I might just take the plunge and move earlier. And Leslie is one of those people whose judgement you trust about these sorts of things, and so what did I do? I left a message with the realty people (I haven't had direct contact with the owners) on their answering machine that went something like this: "Hi, my name is X...You might remember that I called a few days ago about the apartment you have listed on Y at Street Names A and B, and I was wondering if it was still available because I think I'm basically in love with the apartment, and I know that the owners want a tenant a.s.a.p. but I was wondering if they would be willing to do a May 1st starting date for a lease. Please give me a call back at phone # Z."

And yes, I really did say I was in love with the apartment. You would be too if you got a look at this baby...It's huge and gorgeous and has everything that I want.

Like for instance:

It has 2 bdrms, one of which is small, but that's fine because I want it for an office anyway, and laundry facilities on the premises.

It has a living room and dining room that are big and beautiful and have great light, and all kinds of interesting features, and built-in shelving and other storage devices that I can't quite categorize.

It has a porch/balcony, and a little space that has 3 humongous windows that would be awesome for a window seat, though there isn't actually a window seat, but you could totally put an ottoman or a chaise or one of those antimacassar thingies there and it would be totally Victorian and romantic, and the kind of spot where I could receive suitors or swoon or be consumptive or perhaps just take a wee glass of sherry.

And they take cats but not dogs, which is awesome--because I have cats but don't want to live with dogs.

And it has newly refinished hardwood floors, and is painted a light yellow which works surprisingly well, and will totally work with my fantasy color scheme--well maybe not exactly but I wouldn't feel like I needed to paint over everything like I did with the apartment I actually went to look at earlier today which was cheaper but not nearly as wonderful.

It is large enough that I could literally skip through the apartment for a good 10 skips at least, I think, and as far as my dancing wildly around the apartment goes--I think new highs would be reached.

So that's why I took at least this initial, preliminary plunge, made the leap, of calling and essentially grovelling... But if I get my fantasy apartment, it will be the best grovelling I have done in quite some time.

So wish me luck on this apartment. I'm working largely on impulse right now, but perhaps my spontaneity will pay off...If I get it, I'll post the pictures that first compelled me to grovel...

Addendum: This is to state that Leslie bears no responsibility for my either gaining or losing aforementioned fantasy apartment, or for any remorse/regret that might accompany it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Whew, was worried there for a minute! Let's remember that just because I write about space and think about space and dream about space, I live in a messy apt on the West Side with furniture that I've salvaged from the trash. Would you really want to trust such a person?